How It Works
Hydroponics is a method of growing plants with soilless medium and liquid mineral nutrients.
- Our planters feature a hidden top-feed hydroponics system (see faq) to deliver a nutrient solution (water & organic fertilizer) to the roots of three separate plants.
- A secret side panel gives easy access to a per-programmed timer and three way valve. The timer triggers the air pump to push water through feeding tube from the reservoir to the plants.
- A 3-way gang value offers the opportunity to control the flow of water sent to each plant, accommodating the needs of both hydrophilic and hydrophobic plants.
- Two power options are available, solar and plug-in. In Chicago, the electrical cost to run a planter is an estimated $5-$7 per year. The air pump is very eco-friendly and quiet!
- The soilless medium is clay pellets. These pellets let the plant's roots breath better than soil and absorbs less water and nutrients.
- We recommend using organic liquid nutrients, which are a mix of kelp (seaweed) and other natural products to feed your plants. Our current favorite is Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow for creating green vegetation and Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Bloom for flowers and when plants fruit.
- These planters are designed for interior use only and need to be placed near a sunny window for most plant types.
- Transplant botanicals or seeds in a starter cube will grow quickly and successfully.